Hello from Vanuatu!

Send me mail to keep in touch! I don't have internet access much so getting letters is golden. Write me a tell me the latest news with you. I love care packages too! If you are feeling generous and would like to send me something I promise I will repay the favor some day. My addres is as follows:

Sarah Weber
Peace Corps Volunteer
Londar Aid Post
Pangi Post Office
C/0 Robert Kirk
South Pentecost
Vanuatu

Friday, December 3, 2010

Life on Pentecost

I was officially sworn in on November 4th.  We spent that week in the capital, Port Vila; where we wrapped up things at the Peace Corps office and prepared for site.  There was lots to buy, such as items for our kitchens, wash basins to do our laundry, plastic bins for storage (keeps out humidity and critters), food items not available on the outer island, and so much more.  Packing everything to be shipped out to our islands was a chore but paid off for the most part (besides the one large boxes of food items still missing).  We also enjoyed internet access, warm showers (if we got lucky), hamburgers, ice cream, Thai food, beer, shopping, a bit of nightlife, a pool, and the business of a real city.  The following week we all dispersed to different islands.  There are 6 provinces and over 64 inhabited islands here.  But for the most part our group was sent to different villages throughout 9 islands. 

I’m now living on the southern part of Pentecost Island.  My village is called Londar and has about 230 people.  It’s a 40 walk from the beach up a steep hill into the bush.  The road is a dirt path, not large enough to accommodate vehicles-nor are there any in the south-so everything is taken up on backs. 

Right now I’m still waiting for my house to be finished so I’m staying in a small bamboo house my family made for me next to theirs.  Hopefully my house will be done soon-looking forward to having my own space, a kitchen, and a little more independence.  My host family has an adopted daughter who is 19 and who has been great.  My mama thinks she was born in the mid 40s and my papa is about 80, although age wasn’t kept track of well in those days.  I also have a new puppy named Lucky (the previous owner named him for me) and will be getting a kitten soon. 

I’ll be working with the village health worker in my village from the Aid Post and a few others from surrounding villages.  While she primarily does primary health care; like wound care and giving out basic meds, I’ll work on the prevention side organizing health awareness talks and education.  Next week I will start conducting household health surveys which focus on a range of topics from family heath, maternal child health, communicable and non communicable diseases, STIs, food and nutrition, and water and sanitation. The surveys will give me some quantitative and qualitative data about common health problems, health practices and individual’s knowledge level of proper health practices and diseases.  Unfortunately, there really isn’t much access to health care on the islands which is quite unfortunate.  And apparently the Vila hospital has run out of medicine too!  People who live in Vila and/or have money will fly to Australia to treat anything major, but for the rest of the population, they go without.  They also still rely on some custom medicine practices (some which do have legitimate uses but many do not.)  Many people also believe in black magic.  I may also work on a water project since my village runs out of water during the dry months and everyone has to walk an hour to the river.  School only goes a half day then so kids have time to go wash.  I’m not looking forward to those months!

OK a little more about my village.  They speak a local language called Ha which I don’t know.  (Vanuatu has over 100 languages so they use the pidgin language Bislama to speak to anyone who doesn’t know their local language.)  It’s also a French Catholic village which means they have a French Catholic church and school.  On Sundays I understand little since the service is conducted in Ha, Bislama, and French.  They recently had a confirmation ceremony, and to get ready for it the whole village helped clean the church yard and surrounding area.  I helped cut the grass, meaning I helped use my bush knife to hack away at it.  Most people don’t have formal jobs; they just spend time in their gardens and eat what they grow.  We eat a lot of root crops, cabbage, bananas (over 6 types), coconuts, and some nuts and other fruit when it’s in season.  

At times life gets a little boring here.  I hike around to other villages, spend time getting to know people, play volleyball with my sister and her friends, and read a lot of books.  I’m hoping to start French lessons in the coming months too.

No comments:

Post a Comment