Hello from Vanuatu!

Send me mail to keep in touch! I don't have internet access much so getting letters is golden. Write me a tell me the latest news with you. I love care packages too! If you are feeling generous and would like to send me something I promise I will repay the favor some day. My addres is as follows:

Sarah Weber
Peace Corps Volunteer
Londar Aid Post
Pangi Post Office
C/0 Robert Kirk
South Pentecost
Vanuatu

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Well I've been in Vanuatu now for about a month. In many regards it seems much longer.  It is a series of ups and downs for us all as we adjust to life here- speaking Bislama, island time,Vanuatu culture, living with our host families, the never ending questions from locals, and the local favorite (and not so tasty) lap-lap.

The first week here was spent at a training camp getting accustom to living with cold showers and few ammenities, PC expectations and proceduers, and an introduction to Bislama. Then our group of 41 split in 4 groups to different training villages were we live with host families.

I'm living in a village call Panangisu which has about 700 people.  My host family lives in what we would consider a tin shack but we do have a tank of filtered rain water for drinking and a cement toilet that flushes (if you pour a bucket of water down it.)  They have chickens and roosters that run around outside and my mama just brought home a little kitten a few days ago.

At times I feel like I'm living in a fish bowl as everyone knows everything we are doing (us white people stick out like a sore thumb here) and the Ni-Vans are always asking questions.."Yu go wea?"...but that is just their culture.  They have a laid back lifestyle and have the best of intentions although seem overbearing at times.  Last Saturday my host parents went out looking for me on the main road at 8:30pm because I wasn't home yet and they were concerned.  Altough it was dark, I was coming back from hanging out with other volunteers.  I found it rather annoying, they have a tendancy to treat us like children. However, they have the best of intentions and really are kind people. 

Well, I don't have email access out in the villages.  Only when I'm in the capital which means once a month during training.   Until next time! 

1 comment:

  1. I totally had my entire host family (about 5 adults) out searching for me one night too. It's what they're supposed to do, and it's just to show how much they care about you. It helps when you pick up the language more, b/c then you can say you're doing Peace Corps things when you're hanging with volunteers. You're doing great!! Keep the updates coming!!!

    ReplyDelete